Tuesday 8 November 2011

1.5 Boxed In

EDIT: I've heard my posts are a bit long winded. I can believe that. Instead of posting these massive novel-like updates, I'll focus more on bringing posts more frequently, ideally one or two a day. We'll see how that goes.


I have an addiction. Well, I have a few. But one that's getting a real work out this season imparticular. It's Box Sets. I can't stay away. I've done some crazy things to get my hands on even crazier items. Do I regret it? Not nesscarily.

It does make me seem like this crazy consumer, someone obsessed with monetary goods, but that can be turned back on almost anyone. Do you own fancy clothes and sniff at anything from anywhere simple? What about your car? Everyone has their vices they contend with and accept. In the end, collecting is almost a sport for me. I'm rarely competing with anyone I know, most people I know can barely appreciate the gravity that some of what I've gathered means.

I'm not going to talk about rare stuff though. I'm talking about Box Sets. The ones that have come out THIS YEAR. It has been wild...


1. The BIG One: U2's "Achtung Baby" 20th Anniversary Uber Box Set
Yeah. 6 CD's, 4 DVD's, 5 45's, the album on Vinyl, and BONO'S FUCKING SUGLASSES. Books too. This had to happen. I'm the only biggest U2 fan I know, and I'm going to walk around my house wearing those sunglasses. And only those sunglasses.




 2. Last Year's Epic Battle: The White Stripes Holiday Merchandise Set
This was announced maybe two weeks before it was due to be released, right around December... 5th, I recall. There were only going to be 333 of them released. They're beautiful. It had to be mine. I had no idea how I was going to find $500 by the date. In the end, I had to wait up all night refreshing the Third Man Store webpage, they went on sale at 5:15 AM. This is my life.


3. The Aforementioned: The Smiths Complete
I've discussed this one in great detail. It's one hell of a package, probably the best value for the dollar, considering I paid $175 for an item (thank you, Amazon's Pre-Order Price Guarantee!) that I could flip for around $800 already. But would I? Not on your life.





The craziest part here is what I didn't partake in. Pink Floyd have just reissued everything, and while they're not my favorites, that "Dark Side of the Moon" box is calling me... Nirvana's "Nevermind" celebrated an anniversary and subsequently tried to lure me in, I resisted altogether. The Beach Boys "Smile Sessions" remains a moot point with me, I can't see myself committing to the full box (5 discs, 4 of which are outtakes, it's way too in depth for it's own good), the double disc special edition is sharp. Not to mention the Bowie "Station To Station" box I snagged in early January... Oh, and of course Coldplay have a box set version of "Mylo Xyloto". Rest assured, it's been ordered.

But honestly, do box sets appeal to anyone like they do to me? Music box sets tend to offer a lot more than say, video games or movies (and I certainly have my fair share of those...), but is this content overload anyone else's jam? Let me know!

TRY THESE TUNES: Iggy Pop "Real Wild Child", The Bravery "Slow Poison"

No comments:

Post a Comment